Thursday, March 29, 2018

YOU NEST HERE WITH ME by Jane Yolen, Heidi E. Y. Stemple & Melissa Sweet


I think my mom would’ve loved this book and she would have bought it for her granddaughters if it had been around when they were younger. A really special book for bird lovers and bird watchers!


A review of a lovely rhyming text about birds by Andrea L. Mack on That's Another StorySummary from the publisher:

With rhyming text, this soothing bedtime book is an ode to baby birds everywhere and sleepy children home safe in their own beds. As a mother describes to her child how many species of birds nest, from pigeons on concrete ledges to owls in oak tree boles to swallows above barn doors. The soothing refrain of “you nest here with me” eases her little one and readers alike to slumber. Combining their poetic writing and their love of birding, mother and daughter Jane Yolen and Heidi Stemple have written what is sure to become a bedtime classic.

You Nest Here With Me was written by Jane Yolen and her daughter Heidi E.Y. Stemple, and illustrated by Melissa Sweet. It was published by Boyds Mills Press in 2015.


Opening:

My little nestling, time for bed.
Climb inside, you sleepyhead.


My Thoughts as a Writer:

A lovely example of a rhyming story.  I enjoyed the way the rhythm of the story carried me along and showed me different kinds of birds. The repetition of “You nest here with me” is so comforting. It was interesting to read the back matter and think about the four facts chosen for each bird.
  

My Thoughts as a Teacher:

I’m looking forward to reading this book to my kindergarten students who have been noticing birds now that spring is coming. I liked the facts at the back and the way a drawing of a feather and egg is included, since students sometimes find bird feathers.

Ages: 4 - 8

Grades: K - 3

Themes: birds, nests, bird-watching, family

Activities:

Build: Collect materials and try to build your own bird nest.

Draw: If you could build a nest anywhere, where would it be? Draw a plan to show where you’d build your nest.

Discuss: What is your favorite bird from the story? Why do you like that one best?

4 comments:

  1. What's not to love about a Jane Yolen book. Many of her books are quiet books. I have not read this one, but I love the refrain "You nest hear with me" -- it is so soothing for kids. I have been reviewing a lot of books recently about birds or characters who are into birding. Hope that means a resurgence in birding among young people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed more books about birds too! I hope it's true. More and more birds are becoming extinct or reduced in numbers so the more kids that love birds the better!!

      Delete
  2. A wonderful review of a book I proudly display on my shelf beside me where I write.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your responses and thoughts! Your comments will appear after moderation (I’ve decided to enable moderation due to excessive spam).